The mission of the Department of Emergency Medical Services is to deliver valued services to the community that preserve life, improve health, and promote the safety of citizens and visitors, who live, learn, work and play in our community while maintaining a sustainable systems approach that is focused on dynamic resource utilization to enhance the overall quality of life in Virginia Beach.
Quality Customer Service
Service to customers is the fundamental reason the City of Virginia Beach Municipal Government and our Department exists.
- Customers define quality service.
- Members are committed to quality service delivery.
- Service exceeds customer expectations.
- Customer feedback is sought and valued.
Organizational goals are attained when members and customers work together.
- Team members share opportunity, knowledge and accountability.
- Team members develop mutual trust and respect.
- Team members participate in collaborative decision-making.
- Team members value diversity.
Volunteers are an integral component of the Department and the services delivered .
- Volunteers bring resources and manpower to provide essential services.
- Volunteers participate in patient care services and leadership roles.
- Volunteers share opportunities, knowledge and compassion.
Leadership & Learning
Learning at every level of the organization creates opportunities for leadership experience and for members to continuously expand our capacity to create a quality organization.
- Products, services, and technologies are enhanced through creativity and innovation.
- An environment is created where members, regardless of our place in the organization, learn together.
- Members are engaged in new and expansive patterns of thinking.
Integrity creates the trust essential to Quality Service and long-term personal and organizational growth.
- Members have the courage to examine personal paradigms about roles and how excellence is achieved.
- Members are entrusted with the stewardship of public resources.
- Members fulfill commitments to Quality Service by treating customers and each other fairly.
- Members tell the truth.
Commitment is the necessary mechanism enabling members to focus our behavior on attaining organizational goals.
- Members have the opportunity to convert jobs from ordinary assignments to extraordinary experiences.
- Members participate in decision-making and accept responsibility for outcomes.
- Public service professionalism is demonstrated by each member’s performance & work ethic.
Inclusion & Diversity
Members value and respect our similarities and differences to encourage and fully utilize our human potential, and to foster a culture of openness, engagement and respect for all.
- Member diversity helps ensure quality service delivery.
- Members understand and appreciate varying perspectives, experiences and cultures.
- Members listen to understand each other.
- Member feedback is sought and valued.