The mission of the Department of Emergency Medical Services is to deliver valued services to the community that preserve life, improve health, and promote the safety of citizens and visitors, who live, learn, work and play in our community while maintaining a sustainable systems approach that is focused on dynamic resource utilization to enhance the overall quality of life in Virginia Beach.
Quality Customer Service
Service to customers is the fundamental reason the City of Virginia Beach Municipal Government and our EMS system exist.
- Customers define quality service.
- Members are committed to quality service delivery.
- Service exceeds customer expectations.
- Customer feedback is sought and valued.
Organizational goals are attained when members and customers work together.
- Team members share opportunity, knowledge, and accountability.
- Team members develop mutual trust and respect.
- Team members participate in collaborative decision-making.
- Team members value diversity.
Volunteers are an integral component of Virginia Beach EMS and the services delivered.
- Volunteers bring resources and manpower to provide essential services.
- Volunteers participate in patient care services and leadership roles.
- Volunteers share opportunities, knowledge, and compassion.
Leadership & Learning
Learning at every level of the organization creates opportunities for leadership experience and for members to continuously expand the capacity to create a quality organization.
- Products, services, and technologies are enhanced through creativity and innovation.
- An environment is created where members can learn together.
- Members are engaged in new and expansive patterns of thinking.
Integrity creates the trust essential to provide quality service, as well as long-term personal and organizational growth.
- Members have the courage to examine personal paradigms about roles and how excellence is achieved.
- Members are entrusted with the stewardship of public resources.
- Members fulfill commitments to providing quality service by treating customers, and each other, fairly.
- Members tell the truth.
Commitment is the necessary mechanism enabling members to focus on attaining organizational goals.
- Members can convert jobs from ordinary assignments to extraordinary experiences.
- Members participate in decision-making and accept responsibility for outcomes.
- Public service professionalism is demonstrated by each member’s performance and work ethic.
Inclusion & Diversity
Members value and respect similarities and differences. This encourages, and fully utilizes, human potential to foster a culture of openness, engagement, and respect for all.
- Member diversity helps ensure quality service delivery.
- Members understand and appreciate varying perspectives, experiences, and cultures.
- Members listen to understand each other.
- Member feedback is sought and valued.