Patient Testimonials

All patients and providers have provided Virginia Beach EMS with their written authorization to publish their testimonials.

I was involved in a life-altering accident in July of 2014. Rescue Squad 5 of Virginia Beach saved my life that day. At the end of their shift, they came to the hospital to visit me and to personally introduce themselves to me one-by-one, each shaking my hand, as I was a miracle they not only saved, but were able to witness to live. I am forever grateful for their service, commitment, and for each and every one of them going beyond the call of duty that day by showing up at my bedside and expressing their genuine concern for how I was doing. I promised them that day, when I was better and able, I would visit with treats. I have never forgotten my promise.  I wrote them a poem to honor them as the heroes they are and I had the opportunity to present it to them at the VBEMS Admin Office. I greatly appreciate my heroes from July of 2014.

– E. N. Kebort

One Sunday evening I had a vein burst in my leg and was unable to stop the bleeding. After calling 911, unit 826R responded. The two EMTs, Ryan Drucker and April Greissinger, came in and treated me with kindness, professionalism, and respect as though I had been a longtime friend. I felt very comfortable and at ease even after I had lost a large amount of blood. I was very nervous and my blood pressure was up a good amount they sure helped to calm me down. They transported me to the hospital and remained with me to make sure I was being taken care of (the ER was very busy). These two young people are an asset to the VBEMS program and deserve to be commended for the way they carry out their duties. I only hope each and every one in your program is as caring and professional as they are. Please extend a very warm THANK YOU to both of them. Thanks to them, again.

– W. P. Poston

The morning of Saturday, Dec 2nd, I called 911 because my husband was asphyxiating and stopped breathing. I believe the fire truck that arrived was from the Blackwater Fire Station, but then two ambulances arrived – one from Creeds and one from Princess Anne. When I called 911, Currituck answered since we live in Knotts Island, NC. My husband spent 9 days in the ICU at Princess Anne Hospital followed by surgery and 5 days at Sentara Leigh. As you can imagine it has been an overwhelming experience. The gentleman on the phone truly saved my life, too. He helped me focus when my husband actually stopped breathing and turned blue. He walked me through exactly what I needed to do as far as compressions and breaths. He was amazing! I could not have gotten through it without him. We just want to extend our sincerest thanks to everyone who played a part in his rescue. Thank you so much!

– J. Berges

The morning of February 16th I woke up to what I thought was my first sign of labor.  I was 39 weeks pregnant and I was excited to finally have my baby. However, things progressed very rapidly. Immediately after getting out of bed, the first contraction came, then the second with no break in between. I knew at that point there was no way I could make it to the hospital. My husband called 911 and shortly thereafter three volunteers from the Plaza Volunteer Rescue Squad arrived. They got me into the ambulance as quickly as possible, which was good because they ended up delivering our baby in the ambulance. The umbilical cord was wrapped around our baby’s neck and it was the knowledge and quick actions of those providers that saved my son. They delivered my healthy 7 lb. 10 oz. son. Although this birthing experience did not go as expected, I am forever grateful to the volunteer EMS members who delivered my son into this world.

-D. Brumsey

My dad called 911 at the end of May because my mom was in cardiac arrest. The dispatcher talked him through CPR and the EMS team got there quick enough that you saved my mom’s life. We would love to say thank you.

– L. Abad

To share your story, call Public Affairs Officer Ricky LaBlue at (757) 385-5008 or send us a message online.