On October 2, 2017, CHKD will begin accepting trauma patients directly from the field. They have been receiving transfer patients and some minor trauma patients for some time.
This means that patients under the age of 15 who meet any trauma center transport criteria will be transported directly to CHKD on and after October 2, 2017.
- If your patient meets any of the trauma center transport criteria and they are under the age of 15, they should be directly transported to CHKD.
- Unstable patients under the age of 15 may be transported to the closest trauma center. Please consult the closest center early to ensure the proper destination.
- As per protocol, any patient with an unmanageable airway, uncontrolled hemorrhage or in cardiac arrest should be transported to the closest ED facility.
- Trauma center transport criteria patients have an onscene time goal of 10 minutes.
- Case location may warrant air transport. If transport is greater than 30 minutes by ground to CHKD, consider launching a helicopter early (if needed)
- Trauma center transport patients under the age of 15 who are pregnant or have burns can be transported to CHKD.
Please consult the following references :
- The updated version with CHKD corrections has been approved and will be added shortly.
The following VBEMS posts: